Your office visit
On your first visit, your eyes will be dilated and the doctor will give you a complete evaluation. If needed, additional testing may be done in the office. Some types of treatments may be initiated during the visit. You should expect to be in the office for a minimum of 2 hours. If you have diabetes, please be prepared and bring a snack with you.
The dilating drops may take 15 to 45 minutes to be effective, and will blur your vision, especially for reading. Your eyes may be sensitive to light for up to 24 hours, so bring sunglasses for your comfort. For safety, you will need someone to drive you home.
Understanding your diagnosis
We make a special effort to explain everything regarding your condition and recommended treatment. Often the doctor who referred you to us will have already made a diagnosis. While your eyes are dilating, we may provide an educational video about your condition to watch so you may discuss it in greater detail with the doctor and staff.
Remember to bring
Completed patient forms
1. Patient Registration
2. Medical History and Review of Systems
3. Annual Patient Responsibilities
• List of all medications you are taking: prescription, over-the-counter, and supplements
• Health insurance ID card(s) or forms
• Any copayment required by your insurance company
Glasses and contact lenses
• Current glasses, both distance and reading
• Lens case so contact lenses can be removed in the office
For comfort and safety
• Sunglasses for light sensitivity
• Someone to drive you home